[轉貼] BBC Two
Makes about 250 g:
350 g fresh ginger root
Golden caster sugar, to match weight of cooked ginger, plus extra for sprinkling.
- 1. Peel the fresh ginger root and thinly slice.
- 2. Put the ginger in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cover with water, adding more to allow for evaporation. Bring to the boil and partly cover with a lid. Boil gently for 1 hour, or until the ginger is almost cooked but slightly al dente; the time will vary slightly depending on the freshness of ginger.
- 3. Drain the ginger and weigh it. Put it back in the saucepan with an equal amount of golden caster sugar. Add 2 tbsp water. Bring to the boil, then simmer over a medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon for 20 minutes, or until it starts to go gloopy and the ginger becomes transparent.
- 4. Reduce the heat and keep stirring until it starts to crystallize and easily piles up in the middle of the pan.
- 5. Meanwhile take a large, deep, baking tray and sprinkle caster sugar on it. Tip the ginger into the baking tray and shuffle it round in the caster sugar. Separate any clumps of ginger pieces. Place in a sterilized jar.
USE: Chew on a piece of crystallized ginger when you feel nauseous.
STORAGE: Keeps in a cool place for 3-6 months.